Having great eyelashes is not something that everyone was born with; however there are ways to improve that look significantly. Mascara can help you enjoy a longer, darker, more natural and fuller look without having to run out and buy falsies. When you learn to select and apply the right mascara, the difference can be stunning.
To enjoy a great look with mascara, it does take having a few tools of the trade. The first thing you need is the right mascara for the job at hand. There are also a few tools needed to help apply the mascara.
Woman applying mascara on eyelashes
Selecting the Right Color
Unless you really want to go for a dramatic look, the best way to select mascara is to select a color that works with your hair color and overall tone. Blonde-haired women usually do not have black eyelashes. Consider selecting your mascara color in this fashion:
- For blonde-haired women or those with light colored hair, a brown or brown black can provide the darker look you are after without being too overpowering.
- For those with dark hair and eyes - darker color mascara can work very well for those with dark hair. It is natural for people with dark brown or black hair to have naturally striking eyelashes in regard to color.
- For dramatic days - There's nothing wrong with trying out different colors for a more dramatic effect. Dark mascara for a night on the town can add a dramatic effect on any woman. Just do not expect the look to be 100 percent natural in appearance. It can also be fun to experiment with strange colors, too. Blues, purples and other similar tones can be fun to try on for size.
Picking the Right Mascara
Take the time to select the right mascara for the look you desire. If you were born with short, super light colored lashes, a thickening, darker mascara might work wonders for you. Should you have been graced with long, dark lashes, simple mascara should do the trick by adding more fullness to your look.
Waterproof or Not?
This is mostly a matter of personal choice. However, in some situations, waterproof mascara becomes necessary to prevent your mascara from running. It is best to go waterproof when:
- A hot and humid climate can cause mascara melt off your eyelashes very quickly. In this situation, it is recommended to choose waterproof mascara.
- If you are dealing with an emotional situation, it is recommended to avoid normal mascara because crying can cause it to run. If you are undergoing a lot of emotional stress, waterproof might be better choice.
- t is hard to top waterproof mascara for all day long good looks. This stuff tends to stay on until you take it off.
If you choose waterproof mascara, remember, it can be extremely difficult to remove. To avoid losing lashes while removing it, make sure you use the correct mascara removal products.
Enjoying a masterful look with mascara does require a steady touch. To apply it correctly, try following these tips:
- Start with clean lashes - It is never a good idea to put mascara on over an older layer. Remove old makeup before starting fresh.
- Consider curling - If you have long lashes that are straight, this can provide you with a great look. Curling short lashes may cause them to look even shorter. Take care when choosing to curl or not to curl.
- Use an eyelash comb - This can be a nuisance, but it can help separate lashes before a fresh application of mascara. A comb also works well after mascara has dried to separate lashes.
- Use care when applying - To get a great look with mascara application every time, start at the base of the lashes and carefully move the mascara brush through to the ends. Take care to apply mascara to every lash and you may want to consider applying more than one coat. Allow your eyelashes to dry before applying the second coat of mascara.
- Use the right touch - If straight painting is not getting the look you desire, try wiggling or zigzagging the brush to make sure clumps are removed and every lash is properly covered.
Mascara is very beneficial to one's look and there are several ways to make sure you choose the correct product. The main tips to remember is that choosing a natural looking color should complement your hair color. This allows your mascara to look natural. Another important tip to consider is whether you need waterproof or non-waterproof mascara. These are mostly a personal preference but sometimes one is a better choice than the other. If you select the right mascara and put it on correctly, you can look cover girl perfect every time you step out of your door.