Thicker, longer, fuller, or defined. Is it the brush that makes the mascara or the formula ingredients?
The intention of the mascara look is to create length and definition. But is it the brush or the formula that creates the best mascara?
Although modern mascara comes in different formulas, the formulations have the same basic components, pigmentation, oils and waxes. However, it is also true:
- Lengthening and curling mascaras usually contain nylon or rayon microfibers
- A primer formulation is recommended to prep lashes for a thickening effect
- A fiber formula is used to create a false eyelash look
- Look for waterproof formulations to keep mascara in place during wet weather, tears,sweat or swimming; the waterproof formula has a stiffer texture which may also help to keep a curl.
In addition to the formulation, the wand type plays an important role in creating the desired effect:
- A synthetic brush is recommended for lengthening effects
- A defined look that coats every lash is created with a big bristled brush
- To extend the outer corner lashes, a spiky domed shaped brush is recommended
- For curled lashes - look for a curvy wand
The top 10 brands of Mascara according to The glitter guide.com:
1. Falsies by Maybelline
2. Dior Diorshow Mascara
3. Benefit 'They're Real' Mascara
4. Clinique 'Bottom Lash' mascara
5. Maybelline 'Great Lash'mascara
6. Estee Lauder 'Sumptuous' Two-Tone Eye Mascara
7. CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Mascara
8. Loreal Paris Extra-Volume Collagen Mascara
9. Clinique High Lengths Mascara
10. Bobbie Brown Everything Mascara
Overall, if you just need a basic defining look, most experts will recommend Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. If you want a more lengthened look that has the effect of false lashes, look for a lengthening formula that contains nylon fibers.
For defined lashes that separate and give a cat-eyed look - look for a big bushy brush with plastic combs; Cover Girl Lash Blast is a good example. Also Lancome Definicils mascara is a favorite defining mascara among professionals.
Although water proof is long lasting, it is difficult to remove. Experts recommend saving waterproof formula for special occasions.
In general Fat brushes create thick volume lashes, while skinny brushes produce a defined look, and curved wands help to curve lashes.
As a result, one could conclude that it is a combination of both the formula and brush that makes the best mascara.