You can enjoy a facial at home in as little as thirty minutes. By using skincare products that are appropriate to your skin type and condition, as well as certain facial equipment, you can indulge yourself with that little extra special attention that you deserve. Think about it: while your little ones engage in some peaceful afternoon slumber, you can treat yourself to a spa-like facial and emerge a rejuvenated and refreshed woman.
To make your do-it-yourself facial most effective, you will need a few pieces of specialized skincare equipment designed for home use. While the majority of these supplies can be found in your cupboards, there are two additional skincare tools that will prove to be worthwhile investments by allowing your at- home facial to feel authentic and professional.
The Conair MDF2R Facial Sauna with Timer is used to provide a continual mist of warm steam during your facial. This steam will ensure a deep cleanse of your skin by softening and opening up your pores. Facial steam also encourages your treatment masque to penetrate deep into the skin at a faster rate, saving you time. The Conair MDF2R Facial Sauna is conveniently portable and comes well equipped with two fantastic facial tools. The facial brush can be attached to the sauna and applied to your skin during the facial to provide excellent exfoliation. For maximum moisturization, the facial sponge can also be used for application of your facial moisturizer. To create an even more relaxed, spa-like atmosphere, add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to the steamer water. By incorporating a facial steamer and its useful tools into your at-home facial, you can expect enhanced results and the highest level of treatment possible for your skin.
The second facial tool vital to your do-it-yourself facial is the Tweezerman No-Slip Skin Care Tool, also known as an extractor. Tweezerman skincare tools are high-quality and durable beauty tools that will last a lifetime. Using the extractor for deep pore cleansing is the safest way to perform your own extractions. Used correctly, you can successfully remove all of the dirt, oil, and grime right out of your pores. Extractor tools are easy to use and most efficient when implemented into your facial treatment immediately after steaming. Steam makes your pores very pliable, enabling you to remove debris from each pore with little effort. Should you come across stubborn pores, it is advisable to move on and work in other areas. These pores require stronger exfoliation and can be extracted during future treatments. If you force the extraction, you can irritate the pore and cause a blemish. For those with sensitive skin, do not perform your own extractions. Instead, see a professionally trained skincare therapist to treat your sensitive skin. This will help ensure that your skin is left without any damages or scarring.
The remaining supplies necessary to perform your facial are:
(1) plastic bowl with warm water
(1) facial fan brush
(2) warmed, wet facecloths (100% cotton)
(1-2) cotton pads
(1) magnified mirror
(1) bottle of witch hazel
(1) food processor or blender (to mix masque, if homemade)
(1) wooden spoon (least likely to cause a chemical reaction with ingredients being used to make masque)
You will also need your facial cleanser, toner, moisturizer, eye cream, and sunblock.
Once you have your facial equipment, tools, and products ready, you can begin your at-home skincare treatment. Dim the lights, play some soft music, and follow these five steps to a self-facial. Enjoy!
1. Begin your first cleanse with your facial cleanser. Your first application can be on dry skin. Use upward and circular motions. Be sure to include your neck and décolleté. Meanwhile, get the facial sauna started. Remove the cleanser from your skin with the tepid water in your plastic bowl.
2. With steam applied to the skin, begin a second cleanse. Use the facial brush attachment from your facial sauna. If you do not have a facial brush, you can use a facial scrub instead. Remove the cleanser and scrub with a warm towel.
3. After steaming your skin for at least ten minutes and removing product with a warm towel, you are ready for extractions. For the duration of this step, brighten the lights and use the magnified mirror so that you can clearly see what you are doing. Work only in areas that are being cooperative and spend only 5 minutes or less on your extractions to avoid over stimulating your skin. When finished, soak a cotton pad with witch hazel and clean the extracted areas.
4. Now with your pores in a vulnerable state, you can apply your treatment masque using a fan brush or your fingertips. (Do not forget to dim the lights again!) This masque can be either homemade or from one of your favorite skincare lines. Whichever you decide, this masque should target your skin type and condition. For example, if your skin is dry, use a moisturizing masque. If you are oily, use an oil-absorbing masque, and so on. Leave the masque on for at least ten minutes (or longer if you have the time). Remove masque with a warm towel.
5. Your at-home facial can now be concluded with the application of a hydrating toner (best if misted on with a spray bottle), eye cream delicately patted on under the eyes with your ring fingertip, and your moisturizer and sunblock applied in gentle, sweeping, upward strokes.
Voila! You have officially given yourself a professional style facial treatment from home! By following these easy five steps, you will feel like you have just stepped out of a high-class spa. Your skin will feel invigorated and your soul uplifted. The beauty of a facial is that it is more than just skin deep. The chance to relax and indulge in some self-pampering can offer a great cleanse of the soul, something we all need every now and then.